For those called to shamanic work, Melanie works with apprentices, one-on-one and in groups. Apprentice selection is based on numerous criteria including:
- Availability of an apprenticeship slot;
- Personal development work already undertaken and successfully completed by the candidate;
- Demonstration of existing healthy functioning within society;
- Ability and willingness to engage in a master/apprentice training relationship;
- Motives for undertaking apprenticeship and commitment to the apprenticeship program, from both time and resource allocation standpoints;
- Willingness and ability to undertake the in-depth personal healing and development work required to successfully complete the program, and;
- Intentions for the work, once the apprenticeship is completed.
Apprenticeship is a serious commitment, one that ultimately leads to personal transformation and service to the community. There is no formal “curriculum” for those apprenticing and no set time period in which the training must be completed. While specific practices must be mastered, the training is as focused on the development of the apprentice as on techniques.
If you are called to this work and willing to undertake the rigors of the journey, apprenticeship may be for you.